About the Lisle Cemetery
The Lisle Cemetery, located just a few miles west of Cappetta’s West Suburban Funeral Home and Cremation Services, is one of the oldest registered cemeteries in DuPage County and one of the oldest cemeteries in the State of Illinois. Five of the first eleven settlers to stake property claims in the area during the 1830’s are buried in this quaint, rustic cemetery. They include:
- Luther Hatch, settled 1832
- James Crombie Hatch, settled 1832
- A. B. Chatfield, settled 1834
- John Graves, settled 1835
- George Willard, settled 1835
The cemetery was established in 1832 when James C. Hatch donated a portion of his land so fellow settlers could bury their loved ones. James and his brother Luther traveled to Lisle from New England and were the first settlers in the area. Their ancestors are believed to have been in the second company of Pilgrims that arrived in America in 1626. Mr. Hatch cared for the cemetery until June 4, 1883, when the Lisle Cemetery Association was formally incorporated under Illinois state law to collect fees that would be used to manage, maintain and improve the site.
Lisle resident Bill McKibben was the volunteer care taker of the cemetery from 1957 until 1987. The Village of Lisle acquired ownership of the property in 1987 when Mr. McKibben could no longer maintain the cemetery. Since accepting ownership, the Village of Lisle has been committed to the restoration and preservation of the two-acres to ensure that its historical significance to the community endures.
The Lisle Cemetery is open every day of the year during the following hours:
May 1st through August 31st – 8:30 am to 7:00 pm
September 1st through April 30th – 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
Village of Lisle Public Works Operations
4905 Yackley Avenue
Lisle, Illinois 60532
This information was sourced from the VillageofLisle.org’s document center and can be found at the following link.
For information regarding planning funeral services near Lisle Illinois, visit WESTSUBURBANFH.COM.